Thursday, February 26, 2009

Starship Instinct

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

A movie I have enjoyed several times through and through. A very entertaining action sci-fi, as well as a satire. I'm rather surprised at the low ratings that it has attracted. Sure, as a satire, it isn't the deepest thing ever presented on the big screen, but I thought it was clever for a mainstream film. The acting is also denigrated, but it's all suited to the style and feel of the film.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

More Verhoeven action. I really enjoyed this. The suspense was great, wonderfully assisted by the score (perhaps to its detriment actually). Michael Douglas was great. Haven't seen many of his works before, but I dug his raw performance, very primal. Sharon Stone didn't disappoint either, though I wasn't expecting much from her. She was cold, hot, a bitch, a genius psychopath.

Was rather nice to see Jean Tripplehorn, had only seen her in 'Waterworld' before (which is another film that I have enjoyed time and time again!). Very hot. But yeah, interesting plot, paced well, had me gripped to the end.

Reading its wiki article, surprised to see talk of "Gay rights activists strongly criticized the film and its depiction of homosexual relationships, especially the depiction of lesbian and bisexual women as psychopathic serial killers". Dismissing the politically correct nature of society, that is comparable to criticising the depiction of every fictional heterosexual male serial killer as unfair. I laugh at the very thought of people having watched 'Basic Instinct' in the 90s and then immediately branding lesbian or bisexual women as potential "psychopathic serial killers".

My only criticism is that some of the sexual scenes are overdone (lol, it's a Verhoeven trademark). But hey, if you're going to go over the top, you go over the top. I think I'm more annoyed at the number of times that Curran beds Trammell in the end... just seemed meaningless.

No comments:

Post a Comment