Tuesday, February 17, 2009

I'm not a whore.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I would have been better off if I hadn't viewed this. A few things to get off my chest:
- I can't believe Paul Verhoeven was behind this film. Director to two of my favourite films (not ultra favourite, but I dig em a lot), Robocop and Total Recall, I just associate a good time with him (as well as sci-fi action). Heck, Starship Troopers was awesome as well.
- A running time of two hours. Gah.

And now for some more disjointed thoughts:
- Dull viewing. Kept looking to the time tracker to see how much more I had to endure.
- That said, I did survive to the end. There was just enough substance to not leave me unfulfilled.
- That said, the story was horrible. Elizabeth Berkley was also horrible. Well suited.
- At least I can't accuse the film of having a pointless token nude scene.
- Gina Gershon's cool. First saw her in 'Bound' (directed by the Wachowski brothers, their first film actually). Of course, I can't remember anything about the movie except for Gershon and Jennifer Tilly. Gershon also appeared in 'Face/Off', I can't recall her presence at all...
- I can't understand why Verhoeven would chosen to direct this. Except... the boobs. He did it for the boobs.
- I love the idea of 'Showgirls' being a comedic satire. It eases the pain somewhat.
- That reminds me, when the stupidity of the plot and its development was getting to me, I started noticing the technical side of things. It 'felt' like a good movie, sounded pretty good, and was photographed okay.
- I remember reading about 'Showgirls'' inclusion in this list of worst sex scenes ever. Now that I've seen the film, I say: very good call. Supports the satire very much so.
- Kyle McLachlan... we don't get along.

No comments:

Post a Comment