Friday, February 13, 2009

The Four Seasons

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Currently listening to this compilation of songs by The Four Seasons. Until now, they've always been in the 'Sounds familiar, can't connect name to artist' camp. Frankie Valli I was partially familiar with, mainly through his work on the Grease soundtrack (he sung the title track, written by Barry Gibb of the Bee Gees). Tangent: I always loved that track... my brother had taped the movie back in the day, and I used to watch it over and over again. I was always bemused about the criticism that a disco song open a '50s based movie.

Songs that I had heard before, but never realised who they were performed by: "Big Girls Don't Cry", "Can't Take my Eyes off You" (credited to Frankie Valli, but featured the rest of The Four Seasons anyhow), "December, 1963 (Oh, What a Night)", and "Walk Like a Man". The second track threw me off big time... I'd made the connection that the old school doo-wop rock and roll falsetto heavy music were definitely The Four Seasons. The disco flavour of that song just made me go "Wow!" - I couldn't believe it was a product of the same band. Now that's a song I had heard time and time and time again.

The rest of this anthology doesn't seem to my ears as strong as the tracks I were familiar with. It's still early days, I'm sure some will grow on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment