Friday, February 20, 2009

Fail Hitchcock Fail

Borrowed 'The Hitchcock Collection Volume 2' from the library. It features Hitchcock's early British movies, before and around the time he reached fame.

Murder (1930)
Picture and sound quality were horrible. Couldn't make out what the characters were saying. The very top of the screen was cropped off for some reason. Something to do with his early films belonging to the public domain, and therefore being thrown around a lot.

Result: Gave up within the opening minutes.

Number 17 (1932)
No quality issues, just really boring. I managed to survive up to the 15 or 20 minute mark before total boredom set in.

After the success of those two viewings, I decided to do my wikipedia and imdb research to see whether 'Rich and Strange' was worth watching. It didn't seem so, so I skipped it.

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934)
Caught the remake on telly a few weeks ago. Made for pretty good viewing. My research brought up that the original was the first film to be a commercial success for Hitchcock. Good sign for me. I pop this in... and utter boredom sinks in again. I don't know what is in the water that the majority of the imdb community is drinking, but they are utter morons for thinking that this is better than the remake. Heck, Hitchcock himself thought the remake was better.

I theorise that these morons are British folks who don't dig the American flavour of the remake, or that they are 'elitists' trying to boost their own stock by going against the mainstream, or just possibly moronic. Seriously, ten stars my buttocks.

Result: Gave up. I really did try to will myself on, but to no avail.

I'll give 'Sabotage' a go next, followed by 'The Lady Vanishes'. High hopes.

No comments:

Post a Comment