Monday, April 6, 2009

"How does he ride a bike?"

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I respect my intuition. It doesn't often fail me. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I rely on it every second second. It comes to me when necessary.

I had heard about The Breakfast Club since I started getting interested in movies. Its reputation saw that it was referenced constantly. That said, I had never bothered to track it down until recently. Borrowed a copy from the library, but because it was well-viewed, skipped in a few areas. I like my film experiences to be comfortable so I hunted for another copy.

Now that I've seen it, I can't say I enjoyed it much. The main obstacle I found was that the characters were so jarringly vulgar. Their essence was exaggerated and shoved down my throat. Because of that, I found it difficult to connect to the characters. When they were at their lowest points, I didn't sympathasise - instead, I merely cringed. No sooner would we experience that emotional hurting scene, when director John Hughes immediately throws a lighthearted humourous curve ball, as if to make amends.

So yes, I found the writing and pacing to be dodgy. Interestingly enough, I enjoyed all of Hughes National Lampoon movies, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Uncle Buck, and the Home Alone series (as well as others not worth mentioning). It just didn't flow. It was one section to another section. Thematic development as well. The ending seemed like rushed and tacked on.

Now for some notes:
- Dayumn, that Emilio Estevez character sure looks like Martin Sheen =D
- I don't get why Molly Ringwald looks so different on the film poster.
- "Don't You (Forget About Me)" was written for this movie. Interesting. I wonder if this was Simple Minds' only hit...
- Ally Sheedy was hot.
- I also wonder how much input this movie has had on youths experimenting with drugs.

Overall, it was an enjoyable viewing, in the 6/10 area. Interested in investigating more Brat Pack movies, particularly Sixteen Candles (which I recall seeing the opening minutes of) and maybe St. Elmo's Fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment